Freshwater is a vital resource around the world. This is the main priority of the International Centre for Water Resources and Global Change (ICWRGC), hosted by the Federal Institute of Hydrology (BfG). Being the scientific institute of the federal government for research, evaluation and consultation in the fields of hydrology, utilisation of water bodies, water quality, ecology and water protection, BfG advises the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI), further federal ministries, the Federal Waterways and Shipping Administration (WSV) as well as any third parties. BfG supports ICWRGC by providing its infrastructures, administration and technical expertise. ICWRGC and BfG employ committed people from a wide range of disciplines in a modern working environment.
The Federal Institute of Hydrology, on behalf of the International Centre for Water Resources and Global Change (ICWRGC) located at its premises, is looking for a
Research assistant (university graduation / Master) (m/f/d)
specializing in hydrology, geography, climatology, agricultural sciences or comparable disciplines (each with a focus on hydrology)
The place of employment is Koblenz, Germany.
Tender reference code is 20210867_9346
to take up work at the earliest possible date. The job is limited to four years.
- Coordination, management and development of an international und collaborative doctoral programme on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) in sub-Saharan Africa, within the scope of the Programme “Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management” (SASSCAL)
- Mentoring and supervision of postgraduate students. (Co)development of the curriculum of the doctoral programme.
- Expert contributions to Integrated Water Resources Management in sub-Saharan Africa and to the impacts of global change on water availability, -quality, and use in this region.
Mandatory requirement criteria:
- University degree (university graduation/Master) in hydrology, geography, climatology, agricultural sciences or comparable disciplines, each with a focus on hydrology
Important requirement criteria:
- A very good knowledge of hydrology, water management or hydrometeorology or associated areas of science
- At least 2 years working experience following the doctorate
- The ability to draft topical, interesting, well defined water-related issues for doctoral students, incl. possible methods, techniques and procedures for elaboration
- Knowledge of water-related conditions in sub-Saharan Africa, especially Angola, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia
- Organisational talent and excellent coordination skills.
- Strong ability to work independently
- Intercultural competence and proven practical experience in cooperating with international partners
- Confident manner and good communication and presentation skills, also at the international level. Knowledge of structure and cross-linkage of various UN organisations
- Negotiating skills and assertiveness
- Willingness to travel in Germany and abroad
- Knowledge in handling MS Office products
- Ability for independently drafting reports and other publications.
- Excellent knowledge of English, both orally and in writing. Further language skills are an asset, esp. French
- High reliability and independence
- Deep sense of responsibility and readiness for interdisciplinary team work
- Experience in supervising students
- Experience in teaching is an asset
See the following link for the complete task and requirement description (in German only):